Scooters provide both a practical and entertaining method of transportation over short distances and are great for all sorts of applications. On campus, sidewalks, or general transportation, they’re an alternative to walking or biking. It’s great if you’d like to get across short distances in style, or, ease the strain on your legs and joints.
Electric scooters come in various shapes and types. For this article, we’re going over the five best current scooters suited for heavy adults. It’s common to experience strain during movement, but an electric scooter can ease this for those dealing with extreme joint pain (or similar). We’ll focus on a variety of factors, ranging from speed, price, total load, and more.
Worth noting, the scooters we cover will mix between standing and sitting.
What is the Best Electric Scooter for Heavy Adults?
Now, let’s dive into our selections. Economics is the idea behind this selection. Some scooters can easily escalate well beyond the $1K mark, so this is suited for heavy set adults that fit the limit but also want something that’s accessible for short travel. Good for commuting in cities too where walking isn’t exactly practical, but traveling by car isn’t either (at least considering the cost of gas).
Table: 5 Electric scooters for heavy adults
- coming soon
5. Swagger 5 T
Starting with a recommendation you may enjoy, the Swagger 5T has all the standard features of an electric scooter with a few additions to make it better. It has a sufficient carrying capacity of up to 320 lbs and works great for adults and the elderly.
Portable and foldable, meaning its light enough to be carried anywhere but doesn’t skip out on its ability to move at practical speeds or carry the user. Price-wise it’s affordable too, with variants starting at $300 USD and typically not exceeding that mark.
- Battery charge time is 3.5 hours for a maximum of 6-11 miles of total travel in between charges
- 250w motor
- Lightweight aluminum frame for support individuals of up to 320 pounds
- Foldable design for transportation with speeds of up to 18mph
- Integrated app which creates additional security features such as distance tracking, electric locking, and customer support
We like this as an alternative choice to the Glion Dolly as they’re both affordable options capable of supporting heavy adults for short-distance travel. It’s another option for commuting or joint support and works well if it’s impractical to walk. The integrated app is also a great touch and adds some nice support and security features.
- Inexpensive and a great starter model for adults and elderly
- Easy to carry around and lightweight thanks to its aluminum frame
- Good weight support and decent travel distance
- Slow on steep inclines greater than 20 degrees
- Doesn’t have the fastest speed or longest battery lifetime
4. Glion Dolly
Our 4th option sits at a more affordable price tier and is a good entry model for heavy set adults. It doesn’t come with as many specifications but perfectly suitable for practical travel uses. One of its major advantages is the lightweight design, meaning its easy to carry and transport.
- Lithium-ion battery for up to 15mph of travel speed and 15 miles of distance crossed before recharge
- Maximum rider carry weight of up to 255 lbs
- 250-watt battery with a charge time of 2-3.5 hours
- Fork suspension for easy turning
While it doesn’t sport as many features as our initial listing, it’s got enough to work for casual users and heavier adults.
- Lightweight, ergonomic, and easy to transport
- Affordable price tier for entry users or those who just need a scooter option starting around the $400 USD mark
- Easy to use and safe traveling speed
- While a good entry-choice, features are fairly basic and overall design means the carrying capacity has limits
- Best used for economy travel with limited distance capacity
- Works best in standard sidewalk applications and not suited for offroad use
3. Segway Ninebot MAX
Our last pick is another optimal mid-tier scooter hitting plenty of sweet spots for both travel and carrying capacity. If you’re not satisfied with our previous listings, this option might be the right one for you. Backed by a 1 year warranty, it’s a reliable choice and good middle ground between speed and performance.
- 70 lbs frame weight with a total carry capacity of up to 220 lbs
- Reaches speeds up to 18mph
- At full charge can cross distances of up to 40 miles
- Dual motor system utilizing Ah battery requiring only 3 hours of charge time
- LED lights for evening travel
- LCD display detailing drive speeds and other critical information
With an integrated display and some impressive speed and lifetime specs, this is an ideal choice hitting several sweet spots: speed, distance, and weight capacity.
- Nice, short charge time with long distance per charge
- LED display to get information about your travel
- 1 year warranty when purchased from manufacturer backed by customer support
- Good speed for fast travel
- Maximum carry capacity could be better
- Weights 42lbg
2. QIEWA Q1Hummer
The next option is a high performance model great for enthusiasts and heavier adults. Its hardware and design not only allow it to hold a carry capacity of up to 550 lbs, but also reach speeds over 30mph. According to the manufacturer, it offers great customer support and performs well on inclines of up to 35 degrees.
- 800w electric easy-recharge motor for speeds up to 50kmh (35mph)
- Model is designed to be waterproof and sports foldable design
- Installed with an anti-theft system
- Rider support of weights up to 550 lbs
- Incline travel of up to 35 degrees
What we really like to see are scooters that can carry heavier adults but don’t skip on the hardware, such as this one. The performance capabilities here are quite impressive, though, something like this does come at a higher price tier than our previous choices.
- Powerful, long-lasting scooter with great customer support options and durable frame
- Anti-theft installed buzzer for safer parking
- Great speed and travels long distances before needed a recharge with shock-absorption
- High weight capacity
- Totals a travel distance of 68miles/100kmh before needing recharge
- Heavy frame, averaging around 50 lbs meaning it can be difficult to transport
- Higher price tier which typically exceeds around $1k depending on the vendor
Alternatively, you can look for the QIEWA Qpower for an electric scooter with a 660 carrying capacity.
1. Outstorm Ultra – the best electric scooter for heavy adults
Our first choice arrives with an arsenal of powerful features suited for enthusiasts and those who need a scooter. It’s durable, maintains a long battery life, and boasts an impressive top speed to boot. It’s also great for heavy set adults who want to enjoy high performance without sacrificing practicality.
- Total battery charge equates to 9 hours equating to roughly 65 miles of distance
- Can reach a top speed of 56 MPH utilizing an electric charge
- Durable and rugged terrain frame/tire system is perfect for on/off-road applications
- LED lights for night travel
- 3200-watt motor
- Foldable and ergonomic design allows for easy transportation
- Shock absorption system for smooth travel along with a total carrying capacity of 320 lbs.
As you can see, the Outstorm is feature fit with specifications that work for a variety of uses and needs, even for heavier adults.
- Great topspeed and durable tire system for any terrain
- Foldable and easy to transport
- Multiple variants (such as scooters with 5000-watt motors)
- Good for casual use but also for heavier adults
- Price point, heavy investment and costs typically start around $2000 mark
- Does come with a seat option though may not be comfortable for some
- While loaded with great features, not ideal for those who need a simple alternative to travel at an affordable price tier
Why get an electric scooter?
Beyond utilizing an electric scooter for joint support, there are a variety of reasons an adult can use a scooter in their day to day life. Scooters are an alternative to typical travel, especially if you don’t have access to a bike (or the area you live in doesn’t support bicycle travel).
It’s faster than walking
Unsurprisingly, an electric scooter is much faster than walking and can get from place to place in half the time. For those that want to get from location to location at an expedited pace, a scooter works well without the need for a vehicle or bicycle. It could range from going to the store to quickly pick up something for dinner, stepping out to eat, taking a casual ride, or any instance where walking is too slow and you’d rather not waste gas. Speaking of. . .
It’s eco-friendly and saves you money
An electric scooter is precisely that: electric. Modern scooters take advantage of lithium-ion batteries which is a roundabout way of saying they don’t require gas to operate. So, even though it’s a motorized device, you won’t need gas and therefore won’t create additional carbon emissions like you would with a car. Therefore, when you want to get around without the need for a car, you’re helping the environment whether you intended to or not.
Because electric scooters don’t require fuel, you won’t need to spend money on gas either. Scooters can hold charges for several hours, even when not in use. Less gas used means less need to refuel your vehicle, translating to some spare change in saved cash. These days, who doesn’t need the extra dollar or two?
It helps reduce joint pain
Mentioned several times, it’s a great point worth repeating. Heavier adults and elderly are susceptible to joint pain and potentially ligament damage for a variety of health reasons. But, just like everyone, they need to get around, and that’s where electric scooters can help. It isn’t to suggest ligament pain shouldn’t be observed by a medical professional, but reducing strain on the body is an important health factor to consider, and this is where electric scooters provide a benefit.
Pros of Getting an Electric Scooter
Here’s a breakdown of some of the other pros when purchasing an electric scooter.
Easy to use
There is a learning curve, but electric scooters are designed for easy use. You won’t have to spend extra time knowing how to “drive” one as you would with other motorized vehicles.
Few license requirements
It’s unlikely you’ll need a license requirement to operate an electric scooter. Though this depends on the area, an alternative vehicle normally has special license requirements, where electric scooters do not.
Reduced or no maintenance costs
Electric scooters are ready to go without limited or no assembly needed, meaning they’re also free from maintenance hurdles associated with other motor vehicles. That means you won’t have to worry about constantly purchasing and replacing new parts to keep your scooter in normal operating condition.
We’ve mentioned it several times, but it really bears worth repeating. Electric vehicles are a huge time and money saver and even charging them is inexpensive, versus fuelling them. And, as you know, they produce no emissions.
While yes, some of our choices and other scooter models can certainly be heavy, that’s not the case for most models. This means electric scooters are easy to transport. Their foldable design allows for easy transportation.
Aside from instances where installation of certain parts is necessary, electric scooters don’t require any complicated assembly.
Cons of Getting an Electric Scooter
There aren’t many, but there are some factors worth considering before getting an electric scooter.
Even the scooters at the lowest price tier of our list still run up several hundred dollars. No matter how you slice it, it’s a good chunk of cash, while the higher-tier variants can break the one-thousand mark. No matter what, an electric scooter is an investment.
No, you won’t have to be an expert mechanic, but here and there electric scooters do require a level of maintenance. Typically it involves part replacement after said parts need changing due to use. It’s not the worst thing, but something to consider.
Electric scooters provide a convenient and inexpensive way to travel short or long distances, depending on the needs of the rider. Our list fits different price tiers, needs, and models to hopefully pin down the best unit for you. Naturally, what you select will greatly vary based on your environment, personal weight, and other factors.
You can visit our website for additional selections and options.